Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Joy of bringing up my children

I never had the fear of spoiling my children by making them too happy. I consider happiness as the atmosphere in which all good affections grow. The wholesome warmth which is so esssential to make our heart-blood circulate healthily and freely; children model usually after the elders in the family. The single qualification that was taught to me by my parents, that is necessary to bring up children is, Patience - with their moods, outbursts, and sudden tempers. I have enjoyed handling their progress and various understandings with diplomacy, care and love.

As a mother, I keep reminding myself that knowing very well the fact that I am a single parent, my children's future destiny is in my hands, and the interests of their childhood and youth are the interests of mankind as a whole. God has given me children to be handled with tact, patience, and gentleness. I keep a constant care over them, guide them always, remind them to stay on the right path, reproving them earnestly, when they go astray, but not in anger. I realize that a torn jacket can be easily mended but harsh words used on a child can create a havoc in the child's heart.

I have allowed both my children to take care of themselves on their own, right from the toddler stage. They get wiser with each mistake they commit. I have keenly observed that my children are very good observers and they can see even the slightest mistake I have made. So I am always on my guard. To them, I am the role model. I remember, a saying by "Gipsey Smith" - "You save an old man and you save a unit; but you save a child, and you save a multiplication table".

We tend to overlook the fact that we could be the cause of the offense, before we beat our child. To me, every act of duty is an act of faith. God will take care of the consequences of our actions. I believe that this span of life was lent for lofty duties, not for selfishness, not to be whiled away in aimless dreams, but to improve ourselves and serve mankind as best as we can.

No comments: